Friday, December 7, 2012

Peter walks on water

William Hargett.

This man was alright.
Many of the speakers are helping me to decide what I want to major in and do for the rest of my life and this one is no different.

Some of my notes include:
1. Show up
2. Be prepared.
3. Be professional
4. Do the right things, the right way, consistently.
5. Exceed expectations.
6. Capture opportunity.

I believe these are 'goals' that people should look to accomplish in their work ethic. Some other things he said were to communicate what you know, If you aren't there your company wont see that you are reliable, and comply at work because that is what you are paid to do. It is so easy to try to be a bad ass and say 'screw authority! I am my own person' but when you are paid to do something a certain way, you can't try to break the mold and be different, and if you do then do it in a good way. This reminds me of a sermon I heard once. I wish I had my notes from it but what the speaker pretty much said is that we need to jump of the pages of our book of life, in a good way. God has a book written for us and sometimes people can fall off it and do bad things and sometimes people can jump off the pages and go farther than God's expectations. He put this into context with the story of the Peter walking on water. Even though Peter was told "Take courage. It is I. Do not be afraid." Peter decided to test his faith and say "If it is you then tell me to come out on the water." So Jesus did, and Peter stepped out of the boat. Into the middle of a river. Who would have the courage to believe a few words spoken in the dark of the night. Peter jumped off the pages of his book and did something no one else has ever done (besides Jesus.), he walked on water.

This is what we must do. We must jump out of the boat and have the courage to do something greater than our employers thought we were capable of.

No comments:

Post a Comment